Ajax is a way of developing Web applications that combines:
* XHTML and CSS standards based presentation
* Interaction with the page through the DOM
* Data interchange with XML and XSLT
* Asynchronous data retrieval with XMLHttpRequest
In the traditional Web application, the interaction between the customer and the server goes like this:
1. Customer accesses Web application
2. Server processes request and sends data to the browser while the customer waits
3. Customer clicks on a link or interacts with the application
4. Server processes request and sends data back to the browser while the customer waits
Ajax is Not New Technology
Ajax is instead a new way of looking at technology that is already mature and stable.
If you’re designing Web applications right now, why aren’t you using Ajax?
Your customers will thank you, and frankly, it’s just fun!